Thank you for considering volunteering for the Edmonton Humane Society. We value your interest and appreciate that you want to make a difference for animals in our community.
FOR CURRENT VOLUNTEERS: Login to (EHS Volunteer Information Center)
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Edmonton Humane Society. Please note that we are not currently accepting volunteer applications for our general volunteer programs, including our Cat, Dog and Small Animal Programs, our Parent & Me Program and our Photography Program. Applications will reopen on April 9, 2014. As of that date, you will be able to submit an application form which will be posted here. For more information, please click here to view a copy of frequently asked questions.
Follow the links to apply for our volunteer programs:
Since relocating to our new building in April 2009, we have had such an amazing interest from the public regarding our volunteer program. We are so thrilled to have around 700 current volunteers and hundreds of more applicants waiting to join the cat and small animal programs.
By volunteering at the Edmonton Humane Society you can add to the quality of animals' lives and enhance the quality of your life too! As one of the largest animal welfare organizations in Alberta, we rely on the assistance of volunteers to care for approximately 10,000 animals each year. Our beautiful shelter allows us to provide the best creature comforts for the animals and the volunteers who interact with them.
Our comprehensive volunteer program provides many different opportunities to choose from based on your individual interests and talent. There are so many ways for you to help the animals, whether it be helping at a special event, walking dogs, or cuddling cats; the EHS appreciates that you want to donate your valuable time. For many of our core animal care programs, we do ask that interested individuals be willing to commit a minimum of two hours each week to the animals.
Recognizing your commitment to us, we commit to provide you with appropriate orientation and on-the-job training. We will make every effort to provide a productive, educational and rewarding experience for you while you support our work on behalf of all our animals.
We highly value our volunteers and want to ensure that they have a great experience with our shelter and our animals. Volunteers are provided comprehensive training and mentoring in order to learn the best and safest ways to interact with our animals.
Please note that the volunteer program is highly competitive and submission of an application does not guarantee placement.
Basic Volunteer Requirements:
- Volunteers must be at least sixteen years old (some positions, including dog walking, require individuals to be at least 18 years old). We recognize that many motivated young people are excited to give some of their time to the animals. Youth are welcome in the shelter when accompanied by an adult.
- Many (but not all) of our volunteer opportunities require a minimum time commitment. This commitment varies based on the program; however most animal care programs require a minimum of two hours each week. Volunteers are welcomed and encouraged to give more time than the minimum requirement. EHS is open every day, year round for our volunteers.
- For some programs, volunteers must be physically fit.
- Volunteers must be able to read, follow instructions, and work independently.
- For some programs, there is a $35 administrative fee that will be processed following your successful admittance to a program. This fee allows us to provide your volunteer t-shirt, badge and general printed materials without taking funds away from the animals in our care.
- Volunteers must attend a welcome and initial training session as well as program specific training, if necessary. If an applicant is under 18, we require their parent/guardian to accompany them to the welcome and initial training session.
Please note that our volunteer program is highly competitive and submission of an application does not guarantee placement.