PETS IN THE PARK: Tips for pet owners
Keep pets safe and having fun at Hawrelak Park this Sunday
Pets in the Park, Edmonton’s Official Pet Festival, is celebrating its 25th year! This is the ONLY day of the year that your furry, feathered and scaly friends are welcome in the park. To ensure all pets have a fur-tastic and safe time, here are some helpful tips for pet parents or those coming to the park to make some new animal friends:
Make sure pets are…
- Properly restrained at all times, either on a leash or in a carrier. No retractable leashes for the safety of human and animal guests, please!
- Sociable with other animals – there will be many other animal friends to make!
- Up-to-date on their vaccinations.
As an owner, please be sure to…
- Monitor your pet for signs of heat sensitivity, including panting, drooling, glazed-over eyes, or becoming tired and sluggish.
- Know where the free community water stations are in case your pet is thirsty or needs to cool down.
- Pick up after your pet – there are garbage cans located throughout Hawrelak Park, and baggies will be available!
- Bring your pet with you, do NOT leave them in your vehicle!
When making new animal friends…
- Always ask the owner first before reaching out to touch any animal.
- Make yourself smaller and less intimidating by turning sideways and crouching down, letting the animal come to you.
- If the animal chooses to approach you, pet them on their back or sides. Most animals do not enjoy being pet on the head. Respect the animal’s decision if they do not want to make friends at this time.
- When introducing dogs to each other, keep control of the leash and let them greet back end to front – avoid face-to-face as much as possible.
- Be sure to show your kids how to greet new animals before arriving at the park too!