Top 5 New Activities at Pets in the Park 2018!
Edmonton’s Official Pet Festival, Pets in the Park, is back for its 26th year! On Sunday, June 24 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., bring your whole family (four-legged friends included) to Hawrelak Park for sun, fun and a dog-gone good time!
Crowd favourites including the canine carnival, face painting, food trucks and all-ages pet-friendly beer garden will be returning for this year’s event, but there’s also fresh new activities that are paws-itively guaranteed to provide fun for your whole pack!
- Yoga in the Park – Stretch your paws with your pooch after the 2.5 km walk or “K9” km fun run by taking part in Yoga in the Park! This pet-friendly activity allows you to refresh, recharge and soak up some sun. Yoga sessions take place at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. behind the south stage.
- West Central Waterdogs – Watch out for the splash zone in the dog dive area! Come see the West Central Waterdogs leap, catch, reach and fetch off the dock and into the pool with their splashy show. If your dog has a passion for pools, they too can try their hand (or paw) at dock diving!
- Ask Dr. Ted – You may recognize local celebrity veterinarian and longtime dedicated EHS volunteer Dr. Ted Purcell from his weekly segments on Global Edmonton. Now, come meet him in person and have your pet-related questions answered during ‘Ask Dr. Ted’! Dr. Ted will be on the south stage with Daintre Christensen of Global Edmonton at 12:30 and 2:30 p.m. sharing his knowledge from three and half decades in veterinary medicine.
- Animal “Tails” Storytelling – Bring your young animal lover to see an animal’s tale come to life during story time with the EHS Humane Education team! This engaging activity will explore themes of kindness, animal adoption, friendship and responsible pet ownership. Storytelling takes place at 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. near the Kids’ Zone, where you can stop by afterwards for face painting, bouncy castles, and a yummy treat!
- Journey through the Shelter – Bring home a furry forever friend with Adopt-A-Stuffie at the EHS Medical & Animal Care tent, and be taken on the journey that thousands of shelter animals go through each year to get their second chance at a forever home. See your new pet receive a medical check-up, learn about the importance of spaying and neutering, and complete an adoption interview to make sure you’re prepared to give your dog, cat or bunny the love and care it needs! Once the adoption is complete, you’ll receive an official adoption certificate to take home with your new stuffie.