With 400-600 animals in our building on any given day, we rely on the support of our volunteers to provide socialization and enrichment for our animals.
There are three distinct programs to support the needs of dogs, cats and small animals. Due to the demands of this volunteer program, we do require the following commitment from volunteers:
- All volunteers must be 18 years or age or older to participate in this program.
- We ask for a minimum commitment of four hours per month for six months. If you are unable to make this commitment we ask that refrain from applying at this time. Due to the high demand of our volunteer program, we have limited capacity for volunteers. We ask that those who cannot make the required time commitment do not apply, so that there will be availability for an individual who can commit.
- The majority of our volunteer programs are drop-in based, so you will be able to volunteer your time based on your own schedule, be it daytime, evenings or weekends.
What happens next
Once you have submitted your application form, we will extend an invitation to complete an online orientation session to learn more about our shelter and our volunteer programs. Once you have completed the orientation session, you will be invited for a shelter tour, and then to sign up for program specific online training, be it Cats, Dogs, or Small Animals. Once you have completed your training, you will be able to begin your volunteer journey!
Other things to consider
- Applications must be submitted online. There are no hard copies available. Due to the volume of volunteers we oversee, we do require volunteers to have access to the internet and an email account.
- There is a one-time administrative fee of $10 cover the costs of your volunteer tee shirt and ID badge, as well as offset expenses in running our volunteer programs. This fee is payable before you have completed your volunteer training.
- Please note that we do not accommodate short term volunteers, such as required for school projects. Due to the level of training we invest in our volunteers, we require a minimum commitment of six months.