Thank you for your interest in adopting from EHS!
We encourage you to spend considerable time thinking about and researching the type of pet most suitable to your family. Most breeds have their own characteristic traits and specific needs to consider. Remember that some animals have lifespans of 20 years or more.
Many things have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, including our adoption process. These changes were made to ensure the health and safety of you, our staff and our greater community. All adoptions are done by appointment only and first submitting an online request. This updated process facilitates matching adopters with suitable pets while respecting physical distancing and limiting contact for the public and our staff.
IMPORTANT Details About Our Online Adoption Process:
- Adoptions will open online at 12 p.m. noon MDT Tuesdays through Sunday
- We accept a limited number requests per day, based on our available appointments
- If the adoption request form is already closed for the day, please check back at noon the next day
- Requests will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis in the order they are received.
- Adoption requests must be submitted online and cannot be done in-person at our shelter at this time. Entry to our shelter will only be permitted with an appointment.
Now that you know these details, prepare for a smooth and safe adoption process by reviewing the steps below!
Step 1: Health Screening
Before proceeding with your adoption, please make sure you and any members of your household are healthy. This means…
- You/your household have not experienced any of the following symptoms within the past 10 days: fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or shortness of breath.
- You/your household have not traveled outside Canada in the last 14 days.
- You/your household have not been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
If you meet any of these criteria you should be self-isolating per Alberta Health Service’s requirements. We invite you to come back to adopt once you have completed your mandatory isolation.
We appreciate your understanding so that we can keep you, our staff and community healthy!
Now that you’ve determined you are healthy and prepared for the long-term commitment of adoption, you can move to the next steps:
View the EHS adoptable pets page and choose a pet (or a few!) that you are interested in adopting.
Complete the EHS Pre-Adoption Questionnaire to tell us about you, your lifestyle and what you are looking for in a pet, so we can help make sure it’s a good match.
Important: if the adoption request form is closed, please check back at 12 p.m. noon the next day. We accept a limited number of requests each day based on available appointments.
Within two business days of submitting your questionnaire, an adoptions team member will contact you by phone to review the pet’s medical and behaviour history and their lifestyle needs.
After reviewing the pet’s history, we will schedule a meet-and-greet for your family and potential new pet.
Contact-less/ Curbside Adoptions Only
If the pet seems to be a good fit for your family, we will schedule a second phone call to review what is included in your adoption and answer any remaining questions you have. We will do our best to have this scheduled on the same day as your meet-and-greet.
Step 7 :
Contact-less/ Curbside Adoptions Only
Following the phone call, you will be sent a link to our online adoption commitment form and will be required to complete the payment for your adoption fee. View our adoption fees and what’s included here.
After the adoption commitment form and payment is received, a curbside pick-up appointment will then be scheduled for you to come get your new pet from our shelter and bring them home!
- You must be on-time for any scheduled appointments.
- Please wear a non-medical mask for any visits to our shelter, in accordance with AHS recommendations.
- We will do our best to complete your adoption as quickly as possible, but timelines may vary depending on appointment availability and the number of adoption requests received.
Ready to begin?
Start by checking out our adoptable animals!
If you don’t find a suitable animal right away, we encourage you to keep checking back as new animals are added each day.
Once you’ve found your match…
submit your adoption request online by completing our pre-adoption questionnaire!
If the adoption request form is already closed for the day, please check back at 12 p.m. noon MDT the next day. We accept a limited number of requests each day based on appointment availability.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to high demand, we will only be able to hold the animal for 24 hours once we have contacted you. It is in the best interest of the animal to place it into a suitable home as soon as we can, so we are unable to hold animals for any longer. If we leave a message and do not hear from you within 24 hours to go to the next step of the adoption process, the animal will be placed back up for adoption.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through a high volume of requests and match each animal with a suitable home. If you have questions or wish to cancel your adoption, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-491-3500.
Adoption Fees & What’s Included:
Adoption fees vary depending on the type, size and age of the animal. Please select the animal type below to see all of the pricing:
|Dog Type||Adoption Fee|
|Senior (7+ years)||$150|
|Adult – Large||$250|
|Adult – Small||$350|
|Puppy (Under 6 months)||$450|
|Cat Type||Adoption Fee|
|Senior for Senior / Cattitude Cat / Barn Buddy||$0|
|Senior (7 to 10 years)||$65|
|Adult (6 months to 6 years)||$165|
|Kitten (Under 6 months)||$230|
|Animal Type||Adoption Fee|
|Animal Type||Adoption Fee|
|Pair of Guinea Pigs||$35|
Adoption fees help to partially cover the cost of caring for your new pet’s stay at our shelter. The cost of your adoption fee includes:
- All cats, kittens, dogs, puppies and rabbits will be spayed/neutered
- At least one set of vaccinations for dogs, puppies, cats and kittens
- EIDAP Microchip to help your pet return home should they become lost
- All dogs will have completed a behaviour assessment
- Health check by an EHS veterinarian
- Any medical treatments or surgeries that were required while in EHS’ care
- Free exam at a local participating veterinary clinic within 10 days of adoption
- Free ID tag at Bingo’s Pet Shop
- Plus, your new best friend = priceless!