Animal Protection

Animal Protection

Attention: open in a new window. PrintE-mail

What Does the EHS Animal Protection Department Do?


Edmonton Humane Society Peace Officers with the Animal Protection Services perform the following duties:

  • Investigate animal cruelty complaints within the City of Edmonton.
    In some cases, we also work with several other organizations; the Edmonton Police Service, Alberta Health Services, Mental Health, Edmonton's Animal Services and Bylaw Departments, and Alberta Children's Services Department.


  • Inspect pet stores, zoos, and other local facilities/events that involve animals.
    (Note: The Edmonton Humane Society does not necessarily endorse the facilities or events that it inspects).
    Examples of these events are as follows:
    • Petting Zoos
    • Circus Animal Acts
    • Edmonton Valley Zoo
    • Canadian Finals Rodeo
    • Edmonton Northlands Racetrack
    • Chuck Wagon Races (Capital Exhibition)
    • Capital Exhibition animal rides and exhibits
    • West Edmonton Mall underwater exhibits


The Peace Officers also provide other professional services such as:

  • Edmonton Humane Society Ride-Along Program
  • Grant MacEwan College Police & Security Program Student Placement
  • Inspections for Edmonton Humane Society animal fostering program
  • School and Public Presentations

Help prevent animal cruelty by becoming a Watch Dog
click here for more information. 

Help Financially Support our Peace Officers

Please note: Edmonton Humane Society Peace Officers are often investigating complaints so they may not be available to answer the phone. Please leave a message as officers check their voice mail frequently throughout the day.  If you are experiencing a serious animal emergency where there is a risk of death or serious injury, please call the EPS complaint line at 780-423-4567.